Best way to back up your firefox profile

Sep 19, 2007 8:05 PM

I change my windows often and I have very important information in my firefox profile like a bunch of user-passwords for sites, cookies and also customized add-ons and extensions.(like list of my proxies in “FoxyProxy” or my “Greasmonkey” scripts and of course my “zotero” files are so important to me)

There is an extension name FEBE (Firefox Environment Backup Extension), but it is not enough for me, it has some serious disabilities. It doesn’t update current active profile and its customized backup and restore doesn’t work in certain circumstances (in my case all the time with user-passwords).

Here is my solution

All your information, extensions, and cache files are stored in your profile folder.

The default location for your firefox profile in windows is something like this path, “C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\[random characters].default\”.

Create a folder in one of your permanent hard drives, which will never be formatted or deleted. For example d:\firefoxProfile\.

After installing firefox or reinstalling it after installing a fresh windows, go to Start menu-> Run and type “firefox –ProifleManager”.

Create a new profile (name it anything you want) and change its folder from default folder to your profile folder (d:\firefoxProfile).

There should be no problems.

Remember to check “don’t ask at startup” option in the profile manager window and I don’t suggest copy and paste of all materials in a profile folder to another one for backup.

1 comments :

yettobebranded testbed said...

You know, this method isn't really backing up your firefox profile. A better method might be to use an extension like FeBe (find it via addons.mozilla.org). Also, it might be of use to people to only copym certain things, eg, if they test extensions or something. In which case, i'd have to link back to my own blog, http://miksago.wordpress.com/2007/07/15/cleaning-a-firefox-profile/ which in turn would show you the way.